Saturday, November 15, 2008

We're off.

First a piece of advice. Look around your house, apartment, domicile, whatever.

Find 10 things and GET RID OF THEM. Do this every week until you feel like screaming. Then do it once a month.

It will make your life incredibly easier at some point.

Next, the purpose of this:

I'm getting on a plane for Iraq in a few minutes. I will be spending the next year (mostly) in Camp Victory, Iraq, which is basically in Baghdad.

For some of you who haven't heard from me in a while that's going to be a shock, but this was my (and to a lesser extent my wife's) choice--I will be working for Raytheon Company providing support for a certain piece of software for the Army.

Barb and Helen are safe and sound in Saint Louis, their mailing address is:


We moved out of our house in Redwood City back in October. We spend *4* days packing 3 "RELOCUBE"s, a small trailer and the station wagon.

Four AWFUL days. Four Miseable days.

And at the end of it we sell had enough crud to (probably) fill another one.

It was awful.

On the 29th of October at about 11:30 we went wheels up and drove out of Los Gatos. It was Barb, Helen and Me plus Muke and Pixel in the Subaru pulling an overloaded trailer.

We made it to Barb's mom's house in Saint Louis by about 10:30 on Friday morning. We may not travel light, but we can cover lots of ground when we need to.

Anyway, the house we had sort of arranged to rent wasn't done yet, but we were able to unload the trailer and get it returned.

It's a pretty nice place, absent a few minor details the Landlord will undoubtably fix.

On November 6th I kissed my wife and child good bye and flew to New Hampshire to process in with Raytheon, and the next day flew down to Atlanta and then drove to Columbus to process in with the Army @ Ft. Benning.

*MAN* was Friday a long day--I didn't get to the hotel in Columbus until about 1:30 in the morning.

Anyway, I spend the next week doing Army Paperwork and medical stuff, wiht typical army effeciency.

That, however is done, and I'm on my way.

I'll write more later.

No comments: